Thursday, June 19, 2008

1 Week Old

It's hard to believe that just a week ago Peter was born. It already feels like he's been a part of our family for a lot longer than that. Of course, he has --since we've all been anticipating his birth, but it's as if his looks and personality fit right in to a Peter-sized place that has always been waiting for him in our family.

We're all doing well this first week. My mom has been such an amazing help this week -- from being here the day before I went into labor and keeping up with the boys and the house while we were at the hospital -- to taking care of laundry, cooking, shopping, cleaning, fixing couches, etc. etc. all the while. She left this afternoon, and I have to admit that my first taste of "this is how it's going to be" was a little jarring. Jack and Thomas were actually very calm and easygoing for most of today, and we had fun reading books and coloring and playing cars. But trying to get dinner cooked as quickly as possible while Peter fussed was tough (David of course was here to soothe him, but after a certain point there's only so much he can do!). And then Peter nursed while I tried to eat dinner without spilling it all over him (spaghetti was probably not the wisest dinner choice!), and then he fussed some more while I tried to race through the dishes after the boys went to bed. I'm sure there are going to be lots of days ahead of me where I'm lucky to get myself and the boys dressed and fed, throw in a load or ten of laundry, and get something cooked for dinner. Those alone will be an accomplishment! It's going to be an adjustment for me to give a little more of myself than I'm used to, at least until Peter is a bit older. I had a pretty good routine going before he was born, and even on the toughest days I could always count on Jack and Thomas being asleep by 8PM, which left me with 2-3 hours of free time to relax, spend time with David, and regroup before the next day began. Now we're throwing a newborn into the mix, and my "me" time depends on his schedule, which of course is fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants. And honestly I should be going to bed early instead of staying up and watching movies or reading, since I've been walking around in a sleepy haze since last week. But hopefully it won't take too long for me to adjust , and for all of us to figure out how we can pitch in and help things go more smoothly around here.

So far, I am enjoying Peter's newness more than I did with Jack and Thomas, I think, because I'm not as worried about all the little details since I've done this before, but more importantly, because I know how quickly it passes. I don't find myself thinking "I can't wait until he sleeps through the night" or "I can't wait until he doesn't need to eat every couple of hours" -- I'm just enjoying the whole package, sleepiness and night feedings included, as much as I can. Newborns are especially sweet, and I find myself so very grateful for Peter's health and just his being here. It's a funny feeling to not be eagerly anticipating his arrival anymore. It seems like those last few weeks of pregnancy were so full of suspense and waiting and watching for any possible sign of labor, and now suddenly it's all done! I was in that anticipating mode for so long, and now we've been dropped into a weird kind of calm, and a small part of me misses being pregnant :). I know, you're probably thinking "A week ago you couldn't wait to NOT be pregnant!", and that is definitely true, but there is something amazing and thrilling about being pregnant, and that's the part I miss a little bit.

It is awesome, though, because I get to experience a bit of that same thrill as we await baby Michael's birth!!! Kim is just under 3 weeks away from her due date, and I'm so excited for her and Michael as they prepare to welcome him into their arms.

2 comments:

GrammyG said...

It was such a pleasure holding down the home front while you were at the hospital. It was especially wonderful enteracting with Jack and Thomas, watching them with Peter. You have a most precious family and a great support system with David. We are truly blessed with the new addition as with both the others and any to come.
God bless your beautiful family. It is an honor to be available to assist in any way.
We love you so very much!

GrammyG said...

P.S. It is a transition for me to get back into mommy mode. When I got home I kept referring to myself as Grammy and having to look for Jack and Thomas. I truly enjoyed "being" with them and miss them terribly.
It is also wonderful to be home with Dad and Ali. Healthy families are always great to be around. Thanks again for the opportunity to be with your family.
Lots of love!


Blog Archive