Monday, October 26, 2009

Weekend outing


















On Saturday, we headed to a nearby park and let the boys ride their trikes around. The fall colors are absolutely stunning! David and I were talking about what a "nature's bonus" fall colors are. To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong!), there is no real natural advantage to a tree's leaves being brightly colored before they drop to the ground. There are lots of brightly colored fruits in nature, but their colors serve the purpose of attracting birds and animals so that the seeds can be dispersed. Some plants and animals are brightly colored to warn off potential nibblers because they're poisonous. But I can't think of one good reason why it matters what color a tree's leaves are as it's preparing to go dormant for the winter. The beauty just is, without needing any reason, other than God decided it should be that way, and thinking about it that way makes me happy :).
There were lots of puddles because it has rained the day before, so the boys' shoes and socks got pretty well soaked. I made sure to seal up Peter's cast in a plastic bag, because he kept gravitating to the muddiest and deepest puddles to play in. I'm debating whether or not to buy rain boots for them (just the rubber kind that go over the shoes), but I'm sure as soon as I do then the snow will start and we won't need them anymore!
This park, when the snow and ice do come, has an ice skating pond and a sled hill! That should be a blast!
Today the weather has been gorgeous, and the boys and I started collecting colorful leaves in hopes of preserving them. They got a kick out of that. I did a little research, and there are a handful of ways to preserve fall leaves, so we'll try one this afternoon to see how it goes.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks again Kathy for the pictures. The leaves lose their color and then lose their moisture... that allows them to fall. When leaves are green they are healthy and moist and usually will not fall off trees.

You'll have to make a big pile of leaves and let the boys jump into them. I loved doing that as a kid and so did my kids.

I hope your project goes well and leaves get perserved...

Take care and kiss everyone from us.

Love,

Kim

GrammyG said...

Beautiful pictures!
It is so cool that the boys can ride their bikes alot. What fun.
I know it is so much work still for you, but it does seem like a wonderful adventure.
I truly love the picture updates.
Love to all


Blog Archive