Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Buffalo fire hydrants


We found these fire hydrants on a walk we took yesterday, and we've noticed that all the fire hydrants around here have tall white and red poles attached to them ... so they can be found under lots of snow! It boggles my mind that we might actually get enough to bury a fire hydrant.
The areas around here are really lovely for going on walks. There are great sidewalks everywhere (I hope we get sidewalks in our Ramona neighborhood someday), so I feel comfortable letting the kids walk up ahead a little, or push Peter in the stroller. The homes in our neighborhood are ginormous, and beautiful. I've seen a lot of brick and vinyl siding combinations on houses, which I wouldn't have thought would look good, but it really does look nice.
Today we took a trip to the Goodwill store to see if we could find winter clothes for the kids, but I didn't see much, certainly no snow gear, and it's the kind of place that I'd need to spend at least an hour, kid-free, to sift through all the racks to see if I could find something I liked. I did see some long-sleeved shirts that I liked for me, so maybe I'll go back sometime when David is home so I can pick up a few things. So, we headed over to Target and got the boys all outfitted for cold weather ... knit gloves, waterproof mittens, snow bibs (big waterproof overalls), jackets, snow boots. I did forget to buy thermal/long underwear, but I can do that in the next week or two. The weather isn't terribly cold yet, but I feel much better knowing that we can go on walks and the kids will be toasty, and if it does happen to snow sooner than later, we'll be set for that, too. I was worried that if we waited too long then the snow stuff would sell out and I'd be in trouble! The boys were very, very patient as we tried on boots and jackets, and the highlight of the trip for them was buying the knit gloves -- which were blue with red flames on them ("Hotwheels gloves!" Jack called them).
This afternoon we plan to go on a walk, and since the weather is windy and chilly, I'll put their matching jackets on and will be sure to snap a picture!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks for posting again. Your neighborhood looks like my new neighborhood. Nice sidewalks, flat and people actually walking. It is fun to watch you discover how it's done with snow!!! Some things we just take for granted, but if you've never seen it... I'm looking forward to the first snow pictures.

GrammyG said...

It does look like a very nice, well kept neighborhood. I do like the sidewalks and the nice green lawns.
It is amazing to think that the snow will get that high. Have fun, stay warm and safe. The cold does sound like something I would enjoy.
Love to all


Blog Archive