Saturday, August 31, 2013

First Week of School

Everyone did well at their first week of school.  Everyone is also tired today, but I kind of expected that after the first week back :).  Jack and Thomas like their teachers, and Peter and I worked really well together during his first week of Kindergarten.  Peter is wired a lot like Jack is, and so I braced myself for a battle-of-the-wills this week, but aside from a couple of whines here and there (again, to be expected), he was excited about his work and had a great attitude.  I hope we can keep up the good teacher-student relationship this next week!  Davy also did really well playing independently while I taught Peter.  He likes to announce "Play cars!" and then take off downstairs to line up cars and drive them around.  He takes it pretty seriously, like it's his job, so that was a good source of entertainment.  He also like to color and play with shape tiles and sneak bites of playdough, so keeping him busy hasn't been too hard yet.

I decided to take Peter on a field trip yesterday to the aquarium since we have a membership there, and I'm sure our field trip opportunities will be drastically reduced during the weeks right after the baby arrives.  We had a nice trip (although the drive to downtown Baltimore was particularly harrowing thanks to the Grand Prix of Baltimore which is happening this weekend!  How crazy is it that they shut down traffic to parts of downtown so they can turn it into a race course for Indy cars?!?).





This weekend we are staying close to home and relaxing.  David had a long week at work, the kids had a long week at school, and I am ginormously pregnant, so we are taking it easy while we can.  I think David will BBQ some ribs one day, I'll make our Campobellos cheesesteak sandwiches another day, and tonight I'm going to make a Coq a Vin Blanc recipe that looks good, but probably won't appeal to the kids since it's "different".  Oh well :). 

I took Thomas, Peter, and Davy grocery shopping this morning and Thomas and Peter decided to wear their Halloween costumes.  I love that their still little enough to do that and not care.  I ordered their costumes early this year just to have it done and out of the way, and Thomas is going to be Boba Fett, Peter is going to be a ninja, Jack is going to be Jango Fett, and Davy will be an Ewok (he was an Ewok last year, but this time he will be walking around instead of in a stroller!) if we can convince him to keep his costume on.  I have no idea what the baby girl will be ... but I have a fairly gender-neutral "My First Halloween Costume" type of outfit with a pumpkin on it that Davy wore when he was a newborn, so I will probably make her wear it and stick a bow in her hair.  People at the grocery store liked their costumes and one store clerk told me that I was lucky to be so well protected :).

That's about it for our update.  I will try to post again next week!





No comments:


Blog Archive