Monday, March 15, 2010

Ordered today from Amazon



I've been coming up empty on new ways to teach the kids respect and self control -- my usual methods just aren't working anymore and I'm getting frustrated. I've heard
good things about all 3 books, so hopefully they'll give me a fresh perspective and we can have a more respectful and peaceful household.
We've had a LOT of really poor behavior and attitudes (especially from a certain almost-6-year old!), so much so that I know I was "that" mom in the grocery store today -- trying desperately to control her 3 terribly behaving and crying kids while pushing a full cart toward checkout. I felt defeated, but I put on a brave face and got through the store as fast as I could. Jack spent the next several hours in his room (he chose to skip lunch), and Peter and Thomas were playing quietly in the playroom before nap time ... until I discovered that they had been scraping toys across the walls, leaving a mess of marks and scrapes all over the paint! Augh!
Anyway, the power struggles with the kids is really wearing me down lately. I consider myself an intelligent, capable, and confident parent, but I think it's time to call in some expert advice. I really hope I learn something useful from these books!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big hugs to you Kathy. We're thinking of all of you, and we'll be missing you in our next Easter Egg Hunt. - Pat Kinman

KB. said...

Oh Beetah...I know it is rough, but their "spirit" is also a gift...imagine how frustrating it would be if, as adults, they just waded through life not knowing whart they wanted and not caring. Jack, while I'm sure may try your pstience at times knows exactly who he is and what he wants....that will help him overcome many obstacles.

And just remember your sister gave your mom some pretty frustrating days too...and I think I turned out ok:)She just kept on keeping on. I'm sure one day, the kids while maintaining their spunk, will learn how to apply it better and all yours and David's hard work corralling them will pay off.

Much love and prayers to you and good luck in your reading. We will continue to pray for you all.

We love you and Jack, Thomas and Peter!!

Kathy said...

@Kim

You're right -- I am glad they're confident and spirited kids, that is a gift! Monday must have been especially manic, because they've been much better so far this week, and I feel like I have a better handle on things.

Thank you so much for your prayers! I do wonder what God has in store for all of our boys with all their character!

Kathy said...

@Pat -

We're really going to miss this year's Easter Egg Hunt, too! It won't be the same!


Blog Archive