Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Baby steps to April 8th

One of my favorite movies is "What About Bob". Well, I'd have to say the first 2/3 of the movie are awesome, and then it gets a little weird, but I really love so much about that first 2/3. Something about how much Bill Murray's character bothers Richard Dreyfuss's character is just hilarious, and it never fails to lift my mood. I also love the "baby steps" therapy, and I totally get that feeling when Bill Murray is staring at a clock intently, saying "Baby steps to 3 o'clock ... baby steps to 3 o'clock ... baby steps to 3 o'clock". I have so been there and done that, just replace "3 o'clock" with whenever David is getting home from work (or the kids' bedtime!).

Now I'm baby stepping to April 8th, our last day in Buffalo and our first day in Colorado. For so many reasons, I'm ready to go on to our next "home away from home". I have enjoyed so much about our time in Buffalo -- playing in the snow, sledding, experiencing Western NY sights and culture. But, I won't lie -- it has been a difficult 6 months! The biggest challenge has been adjusting to apartment living -- a smaller living space, trying to keep the kids from making too much noise for the neighbors. Also, apartment living made dealing with the cold weather more difficult. I think we would have had a lot less cabin fever crazies if we were living in a larger place and/or we didn't have downstairs neighbors so the boys could burn off a little more energy inside the house.

On April 8th, this all changes, and I think we'll all let out a big sigh of relief when we arrive at our rental home in Colorado Springs. We were very fortunate to be able to find one that fit within David's corporate budget, and it has plenty of space and even a yard!

We'll also be a LOT closer to our families in California, and we're already eagerly planning ways to have them come out and visit.

For now, the goal is to put one foot in front of the other and do our best to make the most of our remaining time here in Buffalo!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

This is so exciting, Kathy! I can't believe your time in Buffalo is winding down already! I hope the boys have enjoyed their first REAL winter :) I'm sure it will be wonderful for you all to be closer to family. (I might also invite myself to come visit, if you don't mind!)

Kathy said...

@ Victoria--

We would *love* to have you out to visit us, whenever and wherever! We'll have plenty of room in CO for guests!

Also,there is a very good chance that we'll be living in Chantilly, VA from Oct. 2010 - April 2011. I'm not sure where you'll be at that point, but if you're back in the East Coast area, then it would awesome to see you then!

GrammyG said...

I am sorry that these 6 months are being so rough on you.
What a gift, prayerfully, the next 6 months should be for you all.
It truly should be like a breath of fresh air. We can't wait, hopefully to see you all soon.
Love and prayers to all


Blog Archive