Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Frozen Assets

That's what I've heard some people call the tasty meals that you set aside in your freezer for later use. In my case, I'd love to have about 14 meals frozen before Peter is born so I have 14 guaranteed stress-free dinners when I need them. I'm actually finding the planning and freezing of the meals really enjoyable! I do feel like my freezer is starting to fill up with valuable treasures. I'm trying hard to make sure they'll taste good when I thaw them out (i.e. using good quality freezer bags, squeezing out as much air as possible, freezing the food right after I cook it, etc.).

So far, I have frozen:
-Chili
-Ropa Vieja
-Sloppy Joes
-Meatballs
-Spaghetti Sauce
-Pizza sauce
-2 pizza doughs
-Beef Stew
-Split Pea Soup (only I like this, but still it will make good lunches for me!)
-Chicken Cherry Pasta
-Apple Butter

I still want to freeze beef enchiladas, chicken fajita meat, chicken pot pie, and a bunch of breakfast foods like waffles, pancakes, and bread.

Anyway, for several of these meals I just cooked double the amount I would normally make and froze half of it. It was more work than just making a single batch, but not quite twice as much work, so I figure it must save me some time and energy.

No comments:


Blog Archive