Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thomas passed his peanut test

We let Thomas have a little bit of peanut butter the last 2 days, and he had no reaction whatsoever. Hooray! We haven't tried tree nuts yet, but I'm guessing he's probably not allergic to those either.

So, it's definitely a relief to know that not all 3 kids are allergic to nuts, but at the same time, I don't really plan to change the way I cook or serve meals out of concern for cross-contamination. Watching Thomas eat his peanut butter, I can imagine what a headache would be to serve him PB&Js on a regular basis, for example, and to have to be really on top of him to make sure he didn't smear peanut butter on any toys, doorknobs, faucets, etc. on his way to wash his hands after lunch. I don't think I have the mental energy to decontaminate everything in sight on a regular basis!

My main source of relief is knowing that it's safe for him to have nuts, that we don't need to order an epi-pen for him, and we don't have to worry about what he might be served when he's not under our watchful eye. Whew!

No comments:


Blog Archive