Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy 5th birthday, Thomas!


I was lucky enough to share Mother's Day with Thomas's 5th birthday today.  We had a great day.  David took him out for breakfast his by himself yesterday, since we knew would be too crazy because of Mother's Day, and Thomas really enjoyed that special treat.  We had waffles, berries, and generous helpings of whipped cream for breakfast today.  After Mass, David went out and picked up Subway sandwiches, which was my special request for Mother's Day.  I can't have the deli meat, but I love their vegetarian sandwiches.  David's also going to buy an electric ice shaver for me / the household.  We had one back in Ramona, but it was one of the appliances that I decided to store rather than cart around the country.  It's one of a few things that I wished I had brought with me!  I know it will come in handy during the hot and humid VA summer, so I'm looking forward to it.

After lunch, both Jack and Thomas got to open their presents, which they really enjoyed.  The biggest hits so far were probably the Lego sets, a stomp rocket (we also had one of these in Ramona, and it either broke or is in storage), and gift cards/money.  I took Thomas and Peter to the park so they could really get some good air on it -- Jack opted to stay home and work on his Lego set.  After that, I finished decorating their cakes (they both wanted volcano cakes, but two different types), and the boys played with their Legos some more.

Thomas requested roasted chicken drumsticks, biscuits, baby carrots, avocado slices, and raw spinach for dinner, so that's what we had.  The boys ate really well, and then they had a generous helping of cake and ice cream.

It's hard for me to believe that Thomas is 5 years old!  I know all parents say that about all their kids as they watch them grow so quickly, but somehow Thomas just seemed so "4".  I don't really have a hard time picturing Jack as 7, but something happens when kids go from 4 to 5 -- they really do grow up a lot, and it's hard for me to picture Thomas growing out of some of his sweet, little kid ways -- his well-loved, ratty blanket corner, his very innocent and sweet demeanor, his unfailing love for singing Amazing Grace every single night ... I could go on.  Thomas has already gotten so much bigger than when we started our crazy adventures with David's job (he was only 3!), and it's only going to go faster. 

Happy birthday, Thomas!

3 comments:

KB. said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Victoria said...

What a wonderful post, Kathy! How neat that you get to celebrate, in such quick succession, the births of the two boys who first made you (and called you!) a mom. Happy Mother's Day, too! It sounds like you had a jam-packed weekend. Thomas is such a dear little boy--I love how well this post captures that!

GrammyG said...

I am so sorry that we missed wishing Thomas a happy 5th birthday yesterday. Now it is Jack's 7th birthday today. Happy birthday wishes to everyone. We love you all so very much.


Blog Archive