Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Where to begin?

The last few weeks have been a flurry of activity -- I have lots of photos to share, but it's hard to know where to begin!

Jack and Thomas had excellent 6th and 4th birthdays. I made a cake that they really enjoyed, even though the theme was a bit of a stretch (I was trying to incorporate plastic animals on the cake, plus a vehicle theme, and the only thing I could come up with was that the vehicles were coming to the rescue of the animals, who were in a zoo that was on fire!). It was a little crazy, but the boys enjoyed it. David had the good idea of having the boys help put out the fire when they blew out their birthday candles :).




















The boys received bicycles for their birthdays, and they've had lots of fun riding them. I can't believe how much bigger they look on their bikes!
























Jack and Thomas have also been in swimming lessons for the past few weeks. Jack loves it, and is very good about listening to the swim instructor and trying new things. I'm very proud of him! Thomas has been slow to warm up to it, but I think he's finally comfortable with going in the water with the swim instructor. I'm usually on the side of the pool with Peter (the YMCA had free child care, but unfortunately they're closed down for a few hours right during our lessons), so I haven't been able to be in the water with the boys as an extra helper except for the week that Mom was out. I think that week of having me help in the water really made Thomas more comfortable in the water, and so far this week he's been fine in the water without me! We have 3 lessons left, and then I'm looking forward to getting the boys some practice in our neighborhood pool later this spring and summer.

Mom's visit last week was wonderful, and we had some great field trips that I'll post about later today or tomorrow.
The weather here is still fickle -- but it seems like it may slowly be warming up a little, which we're all grateful for. Hopefully this weekend David will be able to take Jack and Thomas on their first fishing trip, and maybe we'll be able to visit a park or trail also. In the first week of June, the boys start T-ball, and they can't wait for that.
So, we're busy, but doing well. I find myself so grateful for the boys, their good health, and all the good things in our lives these days. I still catch myself feeling sad about the baby we lost, especially when I see pregnant women, newborns, etc., but I feel so much more aware of what gifts my 3 boys are. I realize that my "perfect" plan for our family (4 kids, 2 years between each of them) is just in my head, and as much as I may be attached to my plans (you know I am!), that doesn't mean I'm actually in control of any of this! I just need to do the best with what is given to me. I would love for Peter to have a little brother or sister close in age, and I felt sad when I realized that the next baby may be closer to 3 years apart rather than 2. But then I look at Peter and how he interacts with his brothers, and he's just fine -- he doesn't need a younger sibling to be complete. I realized that we'll all love each other and be close whether we have a new baby in 3 years, 6 years, or not at all. It will be whatever it will be, and we'll be grateful for it!

No comments:


Blog Archive