Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Walk on the Wild Side





On Sunday, we took a walk in an open space preserve a few minutes' drive from our house. I had been on this walk once before, with just me and the boys, but the numerous signs warning about possible mountain lions in the area made me a little nervous, especially when a sign said something like "If you have small children with you and you encounter a mountain lion, pick them up so you appear larger and more threatening". I can only pick up 2 of my 3 kids at once, so which one would end up being a mountain lion snack?!?. Also, I didn't like being reminded by the sign that "If you see a mountain lion, it has been watching you froma distance [i.e. stalking!!] for quite a while, so don't try to run or hide".
On Sunday's walk, David came with us, which made me feel lots safer in and of itself, but he also brought along a sturdy wooden bat, with which he assured me that he could crush any mountain lion's skull, if needbe :).
We had a lovely walk, and the boys enjoyed running ahead a little without worrying about cars. It really felt like we were out in the country somewhere. I snapped the photos above with my new camera, which I love!
This week has been busy, and it's only Tuesday. Jack got 3 shots today in preparation for Kindergarten enrollment, which I have do by this Thursday. The dr's office was jam-packed, and the nurses and receptionists were wearing those protective face masks -- I suppose to protect against possible swine flu exposure? Jack was a brave little guy and did just fine with the shots.

Afterward, we had to run by the dentist's office for more Kindergarten paperwork, and then to the library to return books, and by then it was just about lunch time. I thought it might be nice to treat the boys to Happy Meals, so I drove through and brought them home. Oddly enough, the only thing Jack and Thomas ended up eating were the buns off of their hamburgers! (which I ordered completely plain, figuring they wouldn't like pickles or onions). They didn't even touch their french fries, and they just took a few sips of chocolate milk! They said they didn't really care for the food. I suppose that's not necessarily bad, but I did find it kind of funny. Kids are supposed to like Happy Meals! And I felt a little bad that my idea of a treat ended up being not so exciting for them. Also, the Happy Meal toy quality has really gone downhill --- the boys each got music CDs with 5 songs of kids doing covers for pop music tunes. It was OK, but whatever happened to actual toys that they could take out of the Happy Meal box and play with immediately? I remember one time, I think I was in Kindergarten, Mom took us to McDonald's for lunch and our Happy Meal came inside a hollow, plastic submarine with two halves that snapped together. After lunch, you could play with it, and even use it as a bath toy!

Anyway, I'll leave you now with a couple of Jack and Thomas gems (it's hilarious to hear them talk to each other!):
  • Jack -- "Thomas, you're making my brain hurt!"
  • Thomas -- "Jack, sometimes when I was a little kid, I had seeds in my clementines, too." (said in a consoling tone to Jack, who was upset that his clementine had seeds in it. Thomas's tone also heavily suggested that he "was a little kid" a looong time ago :) )

3 comments:

KB. said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

That little dialogue is TOOO much! Wow! Awesome!

Sounds like a fun adventure! I'm glad no one became a mountain lion snack :)

Your kids just have discerning taste! They can tell the high quality of your food versus the low quality of McDonald's any day!

Love you all!
-Kim.

GrammyG said...

I say "ditto" to Kim. How can you beat the taste and quailty that Mom makes. It is sad that the Happy Meal toy was not much of a toy to play with.
The pics of your walk look very inviting, except for the thought of a lion snack. Thank goodness for Dad and his bat. It would be fun to go for that walk sometime. The boys look like they were having a grand time.
Yeah, for Jack being such a big boy with his school check ups and shots.
I too was very surprised and enjoyed some of Thomas' comments that he shared last week. What can I say, you are raising such expressive and young men with wonderful vocabularies.
Love to all

Noree said...

I really like that picture of jack and thomas off in the distance. they look so small.

such funny conversations between jack and thomas. i'm sure you're entertained all day long listening to those two.


Blog Archive