Monday, April 20, 2009

Onward and upward

Peter has just learned to pull himself up to a kneeling position (which opens up quite a few new opportunities for him, like the boys' train table). He is pretty proud of himself! His lower legs are still jiggly and he really can't support his weight, but I'm sure it won't be too long before he's standing up. In so many ways, he's on the fast track to becoming a big baby / toddler, and I'm not sure how we got to this point so quickly!

Things haven't really slowed down around our household lately, and the rest of this month and next are going to be doozies. So, over Lent and now in Easter, I've been prayerfully considering ways that I can simplify life and make more room for the essentials.

I consistenly end up with way less time than I'd like, especially for things that I feel should be priorities, like catechesis for the boys, reading lessons, adventures to parks and museums, etc., and the constant feeling of trying to keep my head above water is wearing me out. I keep thinking "Something has to give", but I haven't been able to figure out what I can safely drop. Most of my time gets eaten up doing what I have considered "essentials" like cooking and cleaning, so I'm trying hard to take a harder look at my cooking and cleaning routines to simplify them even further, and hopefully end up with more free time for the true essentials.

Mind you, I don't think my cooking and cleaning routines are excessive as is (washing the bathrooms once a week, vacuuming once a week, etc. is about as infrequent as I can get without crumbs and grime taking over!). But, maybe I can use Chlorox disinfecting wipes in the bathrooms so I don't have to really deep clean them as often. Or vacuum the main traffic areas in the house every week, but do the other rooms less often. Honestly, I get the house totally sparkling and about 30 minutes later it's all starting to unravel anyway due to normal wear and tear by 3 boys. So I think lowering my standards is probably a good solution, and it will do wonders for my sanity.

I know I can also cut back on the amount of time I spend in the kitchen. I enjoy making lots of things from scratch, both for health reasons (so I can control exactly what goes into our food) and for economical reasons, but neither of these considerations is truly as important as my time and stress levels. I figure I can make more crock pot meals (I've been meaning to try out recipes from this site), buy bread, and some other convenience products that I generally avoid. I think it will also be good for my humility, since I take pride (maybe a little too much) in the fact that I can make something healthier/cheaper/better than a store can. Bottom line, what good is all that if the boys look back on their early childhood and think "Yeah, Mom was a great cook, but she was always too busy cooking and cleaning to have fun with us"?

2 comments:

KB. said...

Oh! Peelo!!! You are so big!!
What a cutie!
Beetah, whatever you do,cut back on, or just decide to buy from the store... you are still super-woman!

GrammyG said...

Look at that big boy. It is hard to grasp where all this time has gone. Everyone is growing up so quickly.
It is difficult to imagine that the boys don't think you play enough with them, and yet, I am sure that if asked they would not say "Yes, we want Mom to spend more time cleaning the house".
I can understand your desire to have all your ducks in a perfect row, but honeeeyy, you need to give yourself a breather.
I know this probably sounds easy, but then again, I did not raise three boys.
You are doing a fabulous job! I do think you can ease off a bit(as far as cleaning), as long as it does not frustrate you in the end.
Only you can determine what foods you feel okay buying verses home made, especially since you have already spoiled everyone with your wonderful home made "home".
Just remember, they all need and want you in good health and energy. Sometimes supermom needs to take a super break.
I am awestruck with all the things you are involved with.
Take care and love to all


Blog Archive