Saturday, October 16, 2010

Settling In

We have one week under our belts here in VA. It's been a trying week, all the unpacking and organizing while keeping up on Jack's school work and maintaining some sense of normal routine. I keep meaning to take pictures of our home, but the moving truck came in mid-week and I couldn't bring myself to take pictures with brown boxes all over the place! I think most of the boxes in the house have been unpacked now, so I'll work on getting some pictures up soon.

I think we've turned the corner, though, and things should be getting easier from here on out. We went on our first field trip on Friday to the Air and Space Museum in Chantilly. It's about 15 minutes from here, and the boys really enjoyed it. We've been there before -- on our May 2009 trip back East -- but it's a long time in a little kids' life. Peter kept marveling at all the airplanes and telling me he was going to ride in them. Jack and Thomas listened as I read the descriptions for the planes, and they really seemed to be absorbing it. It was time to go home for lunch before we had seen the entire museum, but it was great to know that we live so close that we could visit anytime we want. They have an IMAX theater there, and I think David and I will take the boys to an IMAX show about airplanes sometime -- I bet they'd love it!

We also got a library card on Friday, and the boys got to check out new books. Even Peter found a little book about diggers that he's been carrying all around.

Weather-wise, we had a few warm days when we first arrived, but then it started cooling down. The leaves are starting to change, and we're hoping to go to a park or take a nice drive to really see the leaves and take pictures before they fall off.

We ordered Halloween costumes for the boys, and they're very excited about them. Originally I was going to make my own, but I had trouble finding the materials I needed (I guess there was a run on white sweats!), so I gave in and bought some inexpensive costumes online. David has high standards for Halloween because he has great memories of the costumes his Mom made him as a kid, but even he agreed that it was acceptable to buy costumes considering our moving craziness :). So Jack and Peter will be motorcycle drivers and Thomas will be Iron Man.

So, life is starting to settle in a little and feel normal. David has next Friday off, and that may be when we take the kids to DC for the first time. We haven't decided what we'll see yet, but we'll be sure to take lots of pictures. I know eventually I'll manage the kids on the metro by myself, but for that first time I'm looking forward to having some extra hands!

No comments:


Blog Archive