Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Swim lesson excitement

Today was the third day of our second round of swim lessons, and I wanted to share my excitement over their progress. I've been eager for the boys to learn how to swim -- not expertly, but well enough that they can go to a pool, have fun, and I don't have to be holding on to them (which is pretty much impossible with 3 at once!). In my mind, teaching them to swim is simply one of those parental must-dos, and with Jack at 6 years old, I don't want to wait too much longer for him to learn this life skill.

The boys learned some valuable skills, and became much more comfortable in the water, during their first swim lessons, but at the end they couldn't actually swim on their own. I had hoped to help them practice at our neighborhood pool, but we still haven't made it over there yet! So, they really needed another round of lessons to continue building their skills.

I was so thrilled today when Jack's swim teacher had him leaping off the side of the pool, into the water, all by himself! Jack, by nature, a cautious and wary little guy (with an occasional bout of "I can't!" pessimism thrown in), so to see him jump in deep enough to get his head soaked was pretty exciting. He's also pretty close to being able to swim on his own -- I'm thinking he'll be there by the end of lessons next week. And, best of all, he kept saying "Today was SO fun!" after the lessons, so he's really enjoying it.

Thomas is also doing very well, SO much less afraid of getting in the water, getting his ears and face wet, etc. than last time. And, I haven't had to go in the water and help encourage him (he's much more willing to listen to his teacher this time), so that has been awesome. He's more wary of the water than Jack is, but he's also 2 years younger and not as physically agile.

Two weeks from today, we're starting back on home schooling. I'm a little sad about the end of summer (it seemed so short!), and a little wary of battling wills with Jack when he doesn't feel like learning, but I think getting back into the routine of schooling will be a good thing.

Still, I'm trying to think of fun things we can do these next couple of weeks off -- I think we'll make a bunch of Kool-Aid playdough one day. I'd also like to take them on an interesting hike -- an easy one, but somewhere with interesting things to see. Maybe a picnic lunch or two at a park. I'll have to see what else I can come up with!

A couple days after we start school again, Jack has an appointment with an allergist out here to see how his allergies are doing. They'll retest him for the nut allergies. I'm not really expecting him to have outgrown them, but it has been about 3 years since his last allergy test, so it's possible, and it will be good to know either way.

Other than that, we're all staying healthy and enjoying the fun weather (thunderstorms just about every afternoon!). We're not sure where we're going next, but we'll be sure to keep everyone posted as soon as we do!

1 comment:

GrammyG said...

It is so exciting that the boys are enjoying swimming and also feeling more comfortable in the water. It sounds like you are keeping very busy(daaahhh), hopefully you are enjoying all the good things and the fun times.
Keep up the awesome job of bringing up three wonderful young men. I miss you all.


Blog Archive