Thursday, August 26, 2010

Craft Fail

I thought I remembered reading about a cool craft project that involved turning crayon stubs into "new" crayons, so the boys and I gave it a try recently. I didn't look up the instructions because I was confident that I had the basic idea down: gather up all the crayon stubs, put them in a bowl, microwave them a little bit at a time until they start to liquefy, stir them a little to get a neat marbled effect, pour into molds, and cool. I even decided to get fancy and sprinkle crayon shavings over the melty crayon mixture to get a rainbow effect.


Well, our crayon creations didn't turn out exactly how I had imagined they would:


Instead of beautiful, marbled crayons, we got crayonivore droppings!
Oh well! I guess our crapft (sorry, I had to, Mom!) became an art lesson after all -- red+green+yellow+orange+purple+blue really does make black!

6 comments:

Victoria said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! This is awesome, Kathy! The project may not have yielded what you'd intended, but it did yield a hilarious post :)

Heather - Dollar Store Crafts said...

Hee hee~! So funny. :) Can I link up at the craftfail blog? http://craftfail.com (heather at craftfail.com)

KB. said...

Haaha! This is awesome!!! I like the cra(p)ft. It's great!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

If you get a chance can you give me the ok to repost this at craftfail? Much appreciated! heather@ craftfail.com. I would have emailed you, but I didn't find any contact info on your blog.

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

One last comment to let you know I will post about this on Sept 20th - let me know before then if it's not okay! Thanks a bunch! heather

GrammyG said...

Oh, so sorry that your crapft failed, but I like your results. They look like multi-colored piles of "stuff".
Just another opportunity to create something completely different from expected.
A wonderful memory for the crapft file.
So sorry, but you did start it.
I pray that everyone is well in your household.
I love the videos of the kids in the back yard. I really enjoyed being there at your home in Colorado.


Blog Archive