Monday, March 30, 2009

Where to begin?


It seems like so much has been happening lately, but when I had a few minutes to sit down and write this post, I wasn't sure where to begin!

David is getting over a cold that he has this past weekend. Fortunately, I don't think anyone else has it (yet!).

Jack's allergies have really been bothering him lately, although since David came down with that cold, I'm wondering if some of his symptoms could have been cold-related. I suppose time will tell. We're all stocked up on new medications from his allergy doctor, so hopefully we can find something that will give him a little relief.

It seems like we've had quite a few colds/flus recently, and strangely enough, the electronics around our house have had trouble staying healthy also! It's almost becoming ridiculous, like the electronics have some sort of suicide pact going among themselves.

In the last year, we've had these casualties (some we've been able to repair, others have had to be replaced): a CPU, a chest freezer, a computer modem, a phone, a bread machine, a toaster oven, a DVD player, a CD player, and now my beloved Kitchenaid is dying (I think I burned out the motor kneading bread) and our microwave is acting up.

But, on the upside, I've been forced to use a no-knead method of making bread and I absolutely love the results. It's much easier than traditional bread methods, and it's some of the best bread I've ever made. I found the book at the library, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, but they also have a website: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

Here is the basic recipe (I don't use a baking stone, just a Silpat-covered cookie sheet, and mine turns out fine):

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/dining/211brex.html?_r=1&ref=dining

Using this recipe, I was able to make pita bread for the first time, and it really worked! They puffed up, had a pocket, and tasted great.

Well, the boys are up and about now, so Manic Monday has officially begun!

1 comment:

GrammyG said...

It is amazing how much(I think) Peter looks like Thomas.
I am so sorry that you have had colds and alergies in your house. I pray there is some relief from it all.
Wow! It sounds like lots of birthday ideas. Isn't it sad when things break down at about the same time. Yuk! Is there anything we can do to assist?
Hopefully, we will see you very soon. We need a Campbell fix.
Love to all


Blog Archive