Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My 3 brave boys

Yesterday was Peter's circumcision, and I took the boys with me because I assumed we would be in the waiting room while Peter was in the treatment room. Not so much ... we all ended up in the treatment room, and Jack and Thomas got to watch the entire procedure. I explained what they were going to do, and Jack and Thomas seemed fine with it, so I decided to let them stay and see how it went. Of course, had they become nervous or scared, I would have walked them outside, but they were totally fine and Jack was actually very interested in what all the surgical tools did, what the doctor was doing at each step of the way, etc. The dr was very impressed -- he said that most dads refuse to watch the procedure because they get a little light-headed! I suppose part of it is that I consider it a minor procedure, and didn't make a big deal about it, so the boys followed suit. Peter actually slept through most of the circumcision, so it really was no big deal.

And... he weighs 9lb 7oz now! So he's gained almost a pound in a little under 3 weeks -- pretty good! He seems to be eating and sleeping well, but it's always reassuring to see his weight going up as proof that he's thriving. He's gotten into a pattern of sleeping about 6 hours a night, although I think the only reason he sleeps for this long is because he cries and fusses from about 7-11PM nonstop and wears himself out! The only thing that seems to calm him down during his evening fussing is constant motion. We've tried a pacifier, slings, and baby carriers, but none of these seem to help when he's really mad at night. So, we may invest in a baby swing to see if that helps. Even if we can put him in there for 15 minutes while our arms get a break, that would be awesome. The evening fussing routine is definitely tiring (especially after a long day keeping up with Jack and Thomas), but I really can't complain too much. If nothing else, my legs will get nice and toned from all the pacing around the house, and my arms will be super buff from rocking a 9lb weight for hours on end :).

Other than that, I'm doing pretty well. I've been keeping up on the household chores pretty well, and I decided to take care of all my week's baking today so I can have one "hot kitchen" day and then not have to worry about turning on the oven during the rest of the week. It's supposed to be in the 90s this week, so hopefully my strategy will help keep the house a little bit cooler. Today I made rice pudding, french bread, cinnamon raisin bread, and granola. And tomorrow is grocery shopping day, and I think I am going to brave the store tomorrow with the 3 boys. David is going to run to Costco for some bulk items since it's close to his work, and I'm going to take care of the local stuff tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

GrammyG said...

I am so proud of all of you. It seems that your family growth is blending well, for now. Just keep strong and don't let them gain up on you. Your are the BOSS.
I pray your adventure to the grocery store is short and pleasant. Keep yourself cool.
I agree, maybe a swing might do the trick for Peter. Even if it doesn't work, know that it shouldn't last too long.
Blessings to all


Blog Archive