Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Show

The other day I realized the importance of the pepper-shaking waiter at a restaurant who comes around and asks if you would care for some freshly ground pepper on your salad. It's not really about the taste of the black pepper, or how much it enhances your salad. It's about The Show. The chef could have sprinkled on a little black pepper on the salad before the waiter put it in front of you, but it's The Show that actually makes us think it tastes better.

Jack and Thomas demonstrated the importance of The Show to me the other day. I was serving waffles, and fixed up their plates with a little syrup on their waffles before placing the plates in front of them. Jack asked for some syrup, and even though I assured him that I had already put syrup on his waffle, he wasn't really buying it. So the next time I served waffles, I got wise. I served the waffles without syrup, then asked the boys if they would like some syrup on top. They both shouted "Yeah!!", and then I made a production of pouring the syrup from the bottle onto their waffles. They loved it and were "Mmmm"ing the entire breakfast. :). I now perform the same "Show" with gravy, grated cheese on top of beans, etc. etc. It's does wonders for how much Jack and Thomas enjoy the meal!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Kathy,
It was wonderful seeing you yesterday. As all the people were coming up commenting on how cute and great the boys are, it has to make up for some of the frustrations you endure through the course of the day. Your production about syrup and gravy sounds like you hit the nail on the head. Great and creative think on your part. At their age it is nice to have some fun with meal time.
As your strength of motherhood is evident, keep up the great job and please allow yourself some quiet mommy alone time. I know that is difficult at times to even imagine, but it could help save your sanity. You are an awesome mom and a most precious daughter.
I love you so very much.
Love, always
Mom

KB. said...

HA!!

Anonymous said...

My dear sweet Kath. You are sucha creative & wonderful Mommy. I read your whole blog thru today 2-6-08. I love the name your dad came up with for your new son. by the way Mazel tov on thegood news on the healthy baby. I'm glad you're taking time to enjoy your home for now and your attitude about it is wonderful. Good things will come your way for sure.

I love you ever so much Kath. Keep well and enjoy every day.

Hugs and kisses to the boys.

G.G.


Blog Archive