Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Playing Catch Up

It's hard to believe so much time has gone by since my last post here! I did have a decent excuse, at least for the first 3 months or so :). I was on basic survival mode trying to get through the first trimester of pregnancy, and most days I didn't have the energy to sit here at a computer and think up something interesting to post. Thankfully, I feel much better now and am enjoying my 2nd trimester! I am halfway through this pregnancy as of tomorrow (20 weeks), and can feel the baby move just about every day. Our big ultrasound is on the morning of Tuesday, Feb. 5th, so that's when we'll be able to tell if it's a boy or a girl. My money is on another boy, but several family members have told me they're having "girl" vibes, so we'll see. I can also imagine the baby being turned around during the ultrasound so that we won't be able to tell -- I have a feeling this little one is going to be a little feisty :).

Jack and Thomas are doing well. The weather has been gorgeous here lately so we've been spending more time outside. Now that Thomas's cast is off, we've been playing in the backyard and they both enjoy that. Jack is like a little mountain goat and he navigates his way around the steep inclines and valleys very easily. Thomas is a little less sure of his step, but when all else fails he plops down on his bottom and scoots down the hill! They also love helping me pick weeds in the front yard and sweeping the deck and garage - although they fight over who gets which broom.

Even though Thomas's vocabulary is getting larger and clearer, Jack has appointed himself the official Thomas Translator. It's really funny to listen to his interpretations!! Mostly it's funny because I think they tend to reflect what Jack wants, rather than what Jack really thinks Thomas wants :). For instance, we'll be driving in the car and Thomas will be making random noises and babbling back there. Jack will ask "What is it, Thomas? What do you want?". To which Thomas responds with more babbling. Then Jack says "Oh, you want a smoothie when we get home?". To which Thomas excitedly responds "Yeahh!!!" (although in all honestly he'd probably respond the same if Jack ask if he wanted a swift kick in the rear end). And then Jack, being a diligent translator, has to inform me of his findings. "Mom!.... MOM!". "Yes, Jack?", I ask. "Thomas said he wants a smoothie when we get home", Jack reports. "Oh, is that right?" I say. :).

Another Jack funny -- we just got finished putting away all of our Chrismtas decorations and everything, but Christmas is still fresh in Jack's mind. We've been singing Christmasy songs at mass up through this past Sunday, so he gets lots of reminders about Christmas stuff. The other day he asked David to sing him the sheep song. David and I looked at each other and shrugged, because we had no idea what he was talking about. I think David even asked Jack if he meant "Old MacDonald Had a Farm", but Jack said "No, the sheep song ... about a sheep on a mountain way far away". David and I almost gave up, because he wasn't making any sense, when I had an idea. "Do you think he means "Go tell it on the mountain?"", I asked David. I figured maybe Jack heard it as "Goat ell it on a mountain" and figured that goat and sheep were closely related. We asked Jack about it, and sure enough, that was the song he was asking about!

One more Jack and Thomas funny before I sign off and fold some clothes ...
Today Jack and Thomas were playing nicely on the back deck for a little while. I was in another room, and I could hear Jack making really loud and annoying noises right at Thomas. Thomas started to whine, and I could hear them both (loudly) making their way into the house to bring their problem to me. All of a sudden, Jack started crying loudly and Thomas stopped his fussing. Jack rushed up to me and said what sounded like "I bumped my nose!". OK, that would explain the crying. I asked him how he bumped it and he corrected me "No, Thomas bite my nose!!!" I guess Jack got *right* in Thomas's face with his loud and annoying noises, so Thomas bit him! I laughed so hard when Jack said that -- and he and Thomas started laughing, too. I told Jack that maybe next time he won't put his nose so close to Thomas's teeth! What's even funnier is that Jack still has 4 little red Thomas teeth marks in his nose!!!

No comments:


Blog Archive