Saturday, July 19, 2008

Welcome to the Flip Side, Michael!

David and I got to meet baby Michael today -- it was so wonderful to hold him and see Kim and Michael settling in together as a family of 3. Beautiful!

He is absolutely gorgeous and perfect, and it was amazing to feel my heart fill with love for this little guy. I've felt my heart fill with love for my own babies, naturally, but I think it surprised me a little at how much and how strongly I already love Michael as my nephew and as cousin and friend to my sons.

Kim and Michael look great -- I am in awe of the teamwork and perseverance and grace they had while laboring to bring Michael into the outside world. If I've learned anything in 4+ years of parenting, it's that these things -- teamwork, perseverance, and grace -- are probably the key ingredients to good parenting and to keeping your sanity. They are on the ball -- little Michael is blessed to have them as parents!

Parenthood here of our crazy brood is going well. David and I are adjusting to the demands of our littlest man, who is still colicky most nights. We've accepted that every night for a few hours is going to be a little rough, and we just get through it. We're both tired, and we probably will be for several more months, but we've accepted that also and mentally that makes it easier to deal with. It's just going to be hard for a while, and there's no real use spending energy complaining about it or wishing it were otherwise, so we just push through and try to survive each day .... and coffee is my new best friend :).

I do often feel like I'm being pulled in a bunch of different directions, and some evenings I feel like there just isn't any more of me to give, but I think these times, especially, are the best for my soul. Like it or not, I know God is working through my children to make me holy :). Something else that has been good for my soul is to see the love between Jack, Thomas, and Peter. I've thought about whether or not having more kids means that the parents' time and attention has to be divided over more kids, and I've wondered briefly if/how much of a downside to large families this might be. What I didn't realize, until recently, is how much more love there is in a family when there are more people in that family. Peter already adores his brothers (I think sometimes they get his biggest and best smiles!), and I realized that when he starts crawling and walking and talking, he doesn't just have David and I to cheer him on, he has 2 older brothers to share in the delight and excitement of watching him grow up. Peter may not have as much of David's and my undivided attention as Jack and Thomas did, but he does have his brothers' love, and the development of that relationship gives me great joy!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

First of all, I am so happy for you, David, and your sons for the new addition to your family. I am so sure that you will help and support Kim and Michael greatly in their new roles as parents; I am equally sure that you will benefit from the gift of Baby Michael. YAY!

Secondly, I don't think I told you how my first attempt to make your cinnamon rolls fared. I had a bunch of my classmates over for brunch and woke up early to make the rolls. The activated yeast never took and the dough was so sticky I couldn't really role it :) So, I put a bunch of blobs in a dish and baked it. PARTS of it got solid, but, basically, it was a big glob of goop. I was embarrassed, but my friends ate most of it :) (It was DELICIOUS.) I have so much to learn from you :)

(Sorry this is such a long comment.)

Kathy said...

Thank you, Victoria!!

I'm SO sorry your cinnamon rolls flopped on your first try :(. I'm glad they tasted good, but that stinks that the yeast didn't work properly. If you ever decide to try them again, you can try making the rolls the night before (and they can rise slowly overnight in the fridge). Then you take them out of the fridge and let them sit at room temp for about 30 min before baking them. That way, you can see whether the yeast worked or not and you can scrap it if it flops again.

P.S. I love your comments!


Blog Archive