Saturday, November 22, 2008

Babbles, Babbles Everywhere

Our house is now filled with the wonderful "Bababa" and "Dadada" babbles of Peter (or "Peas", one of his newer nicknames). I love it! It's sounds so much more grown up than his previous coos. Even Jack noticed ... "He's talking, Mom!".

He's also rolling and scooching more accurately to get closer to toys or Forbidden or Dangerous Objects (I tell you, he knows when he shouldn't play with something, and he beelines right for it!). Peter also has a hilarious "I want that" look -- one of these days I'll capture it on camera and post it!
In the mean time, I did snag a picture of Thomas doing his precarious hand washing stunt.


His feet are not touching the stepstool at all -- just one foot is on the cabinet knob. But he's pretty careful and he gets the job done! He is also doing quite well with potty training -- I'm so proud of him!

Jack and Thomas are getting excited about Thanksgiving this week. They're looking forward to having family come visit us, and of course the yummy food. I was explaining the concept of Thanksgiving to the boys, and Jack asked me "Are we going to Mass?".

I told him we weren't planning on it (because we normally don't on Thanksgiving), but I was struck by the connection he made between holiday and Mass. I suppose it does make sense, after all, most all of the holidays we observe as a family are religious and going to Mass is part of the celebration. As I was trying to think of how to explain to him that this holiday is different than the more religious holidays (and therefore we didn't need to go to Mass), it occured to me that *my* thinking needed correcting, not his.

I just finished telling him that Thanksgiving is when we give thanks for all the good things in our lives, and exactly who are we thanking? God. What's one of the best ways to thank God and participate in a deeper Thanksgiving? Go to Mass. So, I think I will be taking Jack and Thomas to 9AM Mass on Thanksgiving after all -- it seems fitting and consistent with the family culture we're trying to establish. And it was Jack's idea after all -- good job, little man!

2 comments:

GrammyG said...

If that isn't a good sign of your parenting, I don't know what is. How cool it is to have Jack asking about going to Mass on Thanksgiving. Want some company?
We are also very excited about seeing everyone this week.
Go Thomas, keep those toes strong.
Love to all

KB. said...

Awesome picture! Babbling? I can't wait to hear it!! Little Peelo!! He's growing up so fast!!

Now, the one complaint I have about this picture is that it should be the one that we saw last time we were at your house...you know, before he put his pants back on....now THAT was priceless. :)

Can't wait to see you all in a few days!


Blog Archive