Wednesday, February 27, 2008

26 weeks

Today I hit the 26-week mark! It's hard to believe I'm 6 1/2 months pregnant, and even harder to believe that I only have 3 1/2 more months until I'm due. Fortunately, my "need to do" list isn't too long ... I need to get a new carseat (our old infant seat is almost 4 years old, and there are better safety features on the newer models). I need to wash the newborn clothes and blankets, and put the baby bassinet in our room (but that can all wait until just a few weeks before my due date). We need to buy a larger car, which we plan to do at the end of April (I can't wait!!). My "want to do" list is a bit longer -- I'd like to do some good spring cleaning on the house, continue getting rid of extra clutter, finish clearing out the brush in the backyard, make up a bunch of meals for the freezer, and buy 1 new coming home outfit for baby Peter. It's enough to keep me busy, but not too much to stress me out :).

Today I had my 1-hour glucose tolerance test to screen for gestational diabetes. It went well! I should find out the results on Monday, but hopefully my blood sugar wasn't too high. I had to drink a super sugary fruit punch drink and have my blood drawn an hour later to see how well my body processed the extra glucose. Thankfully, my doctor said I could eat a normal breakfast beforehand, so I didn't have to worry about feeling crummy from having all that sugar on an empty stomach. The boys came with me and they did great! Fortunately the lab let me leave the lab after I drank the fruit punch and just come back an hour later, so I let the boys run around in the courtyard instead of making them wait in the little lab waiting room. Jack watched closely as they drew my blood, and he thought it was really cool! Then I took them to a lake where we had a picnic lunch and fed the ducks. It's SO funny to watch Jack throw bread at the ducks -- he winds up and hurls the bread like he's a major league pitcher! Thomas kept trying to hand feed the ducks, so he would take a few steps forward, and the ducks would take a few steps back, and he would take a few more steps forward, until he was standing *in* the water at the edge of the lake :). He didn't mind until we went to walk around some more, and he didn't want to walk in soggy shoes and socks, so he asked me to carry him (which is becoming more taxing the larger my tummy gets!). Then, as a special treat, I drove through Starbucks on the way home and got them each a little strawberry cream frappachino (coffee-free!), which they loved.

Anyway, I'm enjoying my pregnancy these days. Honestly, after making it through the tired, yucky months at the beginning, things have been pretty easy. Chasing after Jack and Thomas is making the time seem to past much faster, so I feel like I'm taking a shortcut to the end somehow :). I'm so happy to be able to have my appetite back, to enjoy cooking, eating, and smelling food, to be able to walk into a grocery store without gagging. Peter is moving a lot, but it's not uncomfortable yet, so I'm enjoying that. I'm really looking forward to meeting our third little boy!

2 comments:

KB. said...

You have GOT to get the bread-throwing on video one of these days!

I'm so glad you are feeling well and enjoying things! All is well in Barber-land too!

GrammyG said...

It sounds like things are going so well. I should caution you however, now that the boys like the taste of coffee and they know Starbucks, "Watch out".
It is wonderful that you are enjoying this time. I did notice that Jack has a desire to be very helpful,(instructing Thomas on how things should be done), but also being helpful for you too.
They really are great boys.
Just remember "One day at a time" and you can handle anything they toss at you.
It is cool that you are creating wonderful memories for you and for them.
Love to all


Blog Archive