Thursday, February 15, 2007

Crazy Day!


Wow. Today was insane! Thankfully the kids are tucked in bed and the rest of the evening should be relaxing.

So, today was Thomas's 9 month well-baby visit. The appointment was for 9AM, and I did a pretty good job of getting myself ready, getting David's breakfast and lunch ready, and getting the kids ready and fed breakfast by 8AM so we would be on time. We were all loaded into the car and I turned the key and my car wouldn't start!

We actually have a portable power station that can be used to jump cars (and it's worked before on my car), so I fired that up in the garage and tried that. No dice. Tried several more times, and the power station didn't have enough juice to do the trick. At this point, I knew there was slim to none chance that we'd make the 9AM appointment, so I rescheduled the appointment for this afternoon and called AAA to come out.

Triple A came pretty quickly and were able to get my car started, so that was good. Jack got a big kick out of having a big tow truck in our driveway. :)

So, we had lunch and had some time to spare before leaving for the now 2PM doctor's appointment, so we went to the library to drop off a few books that were due tomorrow. Jack made a potty stop before we left home, so I was pretty sure we were in the clear until we got to the dr's office, at least. Well, Jack asks to go to the bathroom about 2 minutes after we left the library (and after he told me that he didn't have to go at the library bathroom). I didn't have much time to spare to stop off at a store to use the restroom, so I tried to gauge how badly he had to go. Well, he asked again (pretty insistently), so I decided that I needed to find a place to pull off so he could use the little travel car toilet. I didn't think he could make it to a store, plus I figured that the travel toilet would be quicker.

Well, it took me a few minutes to pull off the busy highway and find a side street that we could safely pull over on. I got out and went to get Jack, only to find that we had waited a few minutes too long -- he had wet his pants. Not a big deal, because I usually carry extra clothes just in case.... except for today. I had an extra pair of underwear, but no extra pants or shorts for Jack to wear. By now, I didn't have enough time to run home or to a store to buy pants (without having to cancel the dr appointment again), so my mom survival mode kicked in and I decided that I would air-dry Jack's pants in front of the air coniditioner vents as we drove on. So, I put him in dry underwear, draped his wet pants over the steering wheel, turned the A/C on full blast, and fanned the pants every few minutes to maximize evaporation until we reached the dr's office.

Thankfully, my idea did the trick and Jack's pants were pretty close to dry by the time we got there. I felt bad for having to put the potty pants back on him, but I had no choice!! He did have a nice bath and a fresh change of clothes when we got home.

Thomas had a good appointment. He's 21 lbs (50th percentile) and 28 inches (50th percentile), so his growth is slowing down a bit, but that's normal. He's in perfect health!

Unfortunately, Thomas and Jack were pretty crabby for the rest of the afternoon and evening, and tomorrow I have to take my car in to get serviced to make sure she doesn't die again -- but we survived!

PS -- The photo of this post is Jack when he was about Thomas's age. Thomas's hair is considerably light than Jack's, but their faces look a lot of like at this age!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Beetah!!

What a crazy day!!!!

Is there something I can do for you to help you with the car? Let me know! I love you! Way to put your super-mom skills to work!

Unknown said...

Oops...I didn't realize this was Thursday. Sorry!

Hope all went well!


Blog Archive